• slider
  • slider
  • slider

ORIGINS

Even though there are different versions about its origin, the most believable would be the one which refers to the foundation, around 1750, of a farm kown with this name that belonged to captain Miguel Gómez. Due to the conflict with federal governor of Santa Fe, Estanislao López, who confiscated their farms; the Gómez, who belonged to the unitary party, had to move to the province of buenos aires, establishing themselves in tandil.


The first immigrants arrived in this region in the middle of the nineteenth century. On 1st may 1866 the first train belonging to f.c.c.a stopped at the station, running from rosario to tortugas and covering the area to cordoba in 1870. Pedro reûn, the first inhabitant and station master, arrived with his family on 1st august 1867. In 1869 immigrants from different nationalities, such as german, swiss, english, french, italian, spanish and others, established in the colony or opened their own stores near the station. Schools; italian, spanish and swiss immigrants' trust, a bank, the hospital and a ladies' benevolent society were also founded. On 1st january 1884 district iriondo was set up and cañada de gomez was recognised as a town and it became head of district. On 7th october 1922 cañada de gomez was proclaimed city. St peter apostle is the patron saint of the city and its celebration is on 29th june.


Galery